Thursday 1 January 2009

Happy New Year

Well here we are at 1st January 2009.
Ready to make some New Year's Resolutions?
Not AGAIN!! How many years will it be before you realise that resolutions lead to failure?

The key to change is not just making the decision but taking ACTION - ASAP, immediately, NOW!

Here is the NLP way to make changes.

1. Make it positive - what do you want (rather than what don't you want!)
2. Can you influence it? For example winning the lottery is out of your hands even if you've bought a ticket! And you can't change anyone else! But you CAN stop smoking, lose weight, reduce stress.
3. Be Specific. If you want to lose weight state how much; give yourself a specific goal not a general one.
4. Describe what you will see, hear and feel when you have reached your goal. How will you KNOW that you have what you wanted? How will you look? What will others say to you? How will you feel?
5. If you could have it NOW - would you have it? This is a good check on goals which maybe we should want but don't really want. How will achieving your goal change you life? Your relationships? Is that what you really want?

So here's an example.
Problem:You're overweight and are ready to take control.
Plan: I want to lose 2 stone and weigh 10 stone by the summer holiday.
I can do this by changing what I eat and exercising more (and booking in for some hypnotherapy to make it easier! :)
When I weigh 10 stone I will look great in a pair of tight jeans, be able to run upstairs without getting out of breath, my friends will tell me how well I look, I'll feel more confident.
If I was 10 stone NOW I'd be able to wear the trousers I bought last Christmas!

So now, go set those New Year's Resolutions!

If you've missed me for the past month (hope you have!) I proved the one thing I've alwasy said - only people with time on their hands can possibly have the time to write a blog!!!!